[plug] Apache access.conf

levsky at rave.iinet.net.au levsky at rave.iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 24 18:08:09 WST 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:03:11PM +0800, Robert Andrews wrote:
> Hi all Im haveing some problems understanding how the access.conf file works
> for example how do I allow a range of network addresses access to a
> directory
> and not others.
> And how do I allow just 1 ip address
>
> <Directory /usr/doc>
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride None
> order deny,allow
> deny from all
> allow from 192.168.3.10
> </Directory>

Looks like you've got the order back to front.
Since you're going order deny,allow - apache is processing
the deny from all directive before it processes the allow from <ip>
directive

Try order allow,deny

The docs at www.apache.org detail all the syntax for using ranges
of IP addresses - that'll be able to give you a far more comprehensive
answer than I can.

Also, AFAIK, the accees.conf and srm.conf files aree deprecated, and
apache encourages just chucking everything in httpd.conf

Cheers

Mark

--
Perl is designed to help people learn the bits of programming they need
right now without forcing them to learn the techniques they aren't ready