[plug] XML DTD

shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Nov 25 10:58:41 WST 2002

Actually, can anyone explain to me whats the point of the DTDs anyway?
They just don't seem to contain any info that aint already implicit in an
XML file.
Consider;
An XML file is used in 3 contexts... Creating them, Processing them and
Human
viewing them.
Creating them is done by a program generally. Surely it's easier to right a
proggy
to generate the given format based on an understanding of the schema anyway
whether
a dtd is there anyway.
Ditto for reading them in code.
DTDs are more eye-ugly and less expressive than the XML for visual
inspection, so again
it begs the question. WHY?

Maybe I just missed the point. I've written many softs that use XML, it's an
idea of the grandest
order, but the DTD's always seem so..... redundant.

Shayne.