[plug] Weird and I don't know Mandrake 9

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 25 23:02:41 WST 2002

> We've chatted through the various optiosn there and he believes he has set
> the screensaver to "none". The next thought was to go to run level 3 so X
> isn't running and confirm that this is the problem. That way he gets
> services running on a site that has been down for a few weeks and starts
> tuning from there.

Its a good plan. Also consider checking the disks, I had one machine
crashing intermittently at work and I noticed after one crash that there
were errors in syslog about hdb "bad CRC" and DMA errors. Icky stuff.
New 80gig disk went in under warranty and all has been well since.

Of course, if such errors were ocurring they'd have already noticed
since, it being a server, they'd be running alog analyzer like
"logcheck" from cron anyway, right? *hint*