[plug] Portable broadband solution

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 25 23:05:41 WST 2002

> >OK this is for each customer in question? Or just the exchange itself?
>
> It is for each phone line.
>
> For example, a client in Colin St, West Perth would connect in to the
> wellington street exchange on, lets say pair 23454a.
>
> Another customer in Ord street, West Perth would connect into the
> wellington
> street exchange on pair 894759834d.
>
> The two have absolutly nothing to do with each other so sharing a
> connection
> wouldnt work unless each individual pair had been prepared and a port
> "rented" from telstra.

However, if both premises already have ADSL you could possibly (haven't
tested but will soon as I have 2 DSL accts + passwords at different
ISPs, work+home) use your username+password and use your DSL account
there, at least in terms of traffic charging etc. Its a pppoe tunnel so
it could be possible, depends on if Telstra hard-codes in the ISP data
on each port or lets the user specify it in the username string like
"bunnym at westnet.com.au" or "postadsl at iinet.net.au".