[plug] Choice quote for Jacqueline (another)

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Mon Nov 25 23:51:03 WST 2002

Leon Brooks wrote:

>MS Office Out, OpenOffice In
>
>    We at Nomovok Ltd (www.nomovok.com) decided early this Autumn to
>    switch from MS Office to OpenOffice. The decision was fully based
>    on financials as we did not see it meaningful to pay all that
>    money to MS. Now EVERYONE has been running OpenOffice for 2
>    months and will definetely keep doing so in the future.
>    Great product!
>
>Cheers; Leon

I'm looking at possible solutions for my work currently.  Situation I'm
in at the moment is that I have WinXP Pro desktops (mainly) running
Office XP Pro (all licenced/legal).

But using a Samba server is somewhat lacking in terms of groupware /
advanced file sharing capabilities and management/control over the
user's computer, i.e. the less access they have to change things, well..
to stuff things up the better.  Cost isn't the biggest factor in the
scheme of things, streamlining the management of their desktops and the
usefulness (thats not a word is it? :P) and effectiveness/functionality
of their desktop environment is what I'm after.  Basically they don't
really care about the nuts and bolts of it, or the ethics of it.  All
they really care about is how useful and effective it is to themselves
and the staff that are utilizing it.  And if its a cheaper solution,
then thats an added bonus.

Essentially this is what I'm after, even if it involved ditching the MS
software to a cabinet to collect dust or buying more MS software (which
I'd personally like to avoid):

- Users turn on a computer and have an interface to login with their own
usernames and passwords.
- All usernames and passwords are stored centrally to be referenced from
for login/email/anything else.
- Ability for users to change their own passwords easily and quickly
without IT staff assistance
- Server managed updates to client systems (even Linux does have
software that needs to be updated)
- Documents / Other user data and profile information is stored on a
central server so they can roam to any computer on our network (and so
that the data is backed up centrally).
- Non-cluttered desktop and menu system that is easy and logical to use.
- Groupware software with ability to share contact lists, calendars,
tasks lists etc with specific other staff.
- Ability to run some Windows applications for specific areas (such as
Accounts) through an emulator or even a virtual session of Windows
(because like I said - we have all legal versions of Windows and Office
for all of the computers we have currently).

Being able to expire passwords at set dates and have set intervals
before this date to notify staff either via an on-screen message or via
email would be fine.

It doesn't have to be cut down to run on slow machines for the client
side of things, as all of the desktop machines we have now that are in
use are all 1.4Ghz+ machines with ample memory (most have 512Mb of
SDRAM).  And aesthetically pleasing things seem to make quite a few of
the staff happy... like when we got WinXP Pro, a few seemed apprehensive
at first - until they saw the new Windows included background images
they could choose from ;o).

Basically I know of a few things already that would probably cover some
of those areas, but a couple of them have very sparse information
available on them and/or non-existent documentation on the advanced
features.  So you have to be a programmer or have prior knowledge of
that specific technology to understand exactly what is going on.

So if anyone has any specific suggestions/experience I'd certainly
appreciate your thoughts/comments.

Cheers,

Ben