[plug] Installing new hardware the 'Debian' way.

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Nov 26 11:48:07 WST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Graham, Alan A. wrote:

> Disclaimer: total Debian newbie.
>
> After months of listening to you lot going on at some length about how great
> debian is, I decided to install it on my firewall as part of a revamp of my
> network.  Everything's gone well, except for the network cards.
>
> It's recognised the RT8139, and installed it as eth0, exactly as I want, but
> it doesn't recognise either of the other two.  After booting, I can
> "modprobe eth1 tulip" and "modprobe eth2 eepro100", and then everything's
> hunky dory.  Of course this doesn't stand a reboot.
>
> I worked out that I'm not supposed to update the /etc/aliases file directly
> in debian, but instead use the update-config script (apologies if I'm
> getting the names wrong, I'm not in front of a real system at the moment).
> I did that, to no effect.  The interesting bit is that the aliases includes
> the line alias eth0 off.  Yet eth0 works from first boot.  There's obviously
> something basic about the debian boot that I'm missing.

Add:
--
tulip
eepro100

All modules listed in this file will be loaded automagically when the machine
comes up.  From there ifup eth1 ; ifupeth2 will work as expected assumeing the
appropriate entries in /etc/network/interfaces ?

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!