[plug] Mandrake 9.0 firewall?? problem

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Nov 26 17:34:46 WST 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: Alan.Graham at woodside.com.au
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au,
Subject: RE: [plug] Mandrake 9.0 firewall?? problem
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:55:53 +0800

>DIsclaimer.  I'm not at a unix box at the moment, so I can't check
>this.
>
>In both smb.conf and hosts.allow you've got 10.0.0.1 as if was a
>network address.

There is no network spec in smb.conf, and I've fixed hosts.allow and
rebooted just to be sure, but no difference.

>It's not, it's a host address.  Network addresses are specified with
0 in the hosts portion.  You've specified a netmask in hosts.allow of
255.255.0.0, which implies a network portion of x.x.0.0 and a hosts
portion of x.x.nnn.nnn, ie, an old style class B address.  If you
really want to allow 65535 hosts on your network, then the network
address should be "10.0.0.0" with a netmask of "255.255.0.0".

255.555.0.0 is temporary untill I rationalise a couple of PCs I am
still working on.

>Remember that the low value (eg 0) of the hosts portion of the
>address is reserved to mean the entire network, and high value of
>the hosts portion (255.255 in your case) is reserved as the
>broadcast address.  That's why you're seeing 10.0.255.255 as the
>address in the nmbd failure message, because nmb uses broadcasts to
>do discovery.

I don't think the broadcast address is a problem, just the fact that
it is being denied.

>So...  change smb.conf to say 10.0.0.0
>
>Change /etc/hosts.allow to say 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0

Hmm.. turning the firewall (shorewall) OFF seems to cause the ping
denial - weird!!

Time to tinker some more...

Steve

P.S. apologies for the crappy web based email formatting until I get
things working better.