[plug] Mandrake 9.0 firewall?? problem

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 27 16:17:22 WST 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 05:27, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 November 2002 03:18 pm, Stephen Boak wrote:
> > can't ping 10.0.0.26 - sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>
> This generally means one of two things - either there is firealling
> in place or the network card you're trying to ping from has a scrod
> configuration.
>
> Check the iptables rule counters to make sure the DROPs have scored
> zero packets. F.e. you might be accepting TCP only, in which case
> ICMP (ping) would get DROPped.
>
> Just as a test, add an all/all ACCEPT rule on FORWARD. I'm
> presuming that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1
>
> Cheers; Leon

I'll check the iptable counters for clues first - that sounds useful,
and give the FORWARD a go, but I don't think I've got to that point
yet. Modem and ppp is still off while testing.

What's a 'scrod configuration'? I looked on google, and all I got was
scrod pudding, braised scrod and broiled scrod :)

Presumably a refernece to 'cooked', 'burnt to a crisp', 'toasted' and
other descriptive terms for 'stuffed'?

Steve