[plug] RHN update agent query

Patrick Tehvand patrick at perthix.net
Wed Nov 27 11:54:45 WST 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 11:52, Bret Busby typed:
> I am considering installing 8.0, especially on the
> server/gateway/firewall, which is running 6.2.
We are still running 6.2 on a couple of servers here and have no problems with
it at all, though Im migrating our shared apache to 7.3 as we speak.

> What are the differences/advantages that 8.0 has over 7.3, from the user
> perspective?

Off the top of my head in a desktop sense (ie if you are running a gui)
-consistancy of interface between Gnome and KDE
-increased (be it perceived or not) speed at loading everyday aps - ie Kmail,
openoffice.org, mozilla
-increaded support for cut&paste between aps (clipboard)
-and it is just better looking... which usually doesnt matter for the
hard-core fans, but if you are looking at it for >10hours a day then it
counts alot =)

I havent installed it as a server yet as I am intrinsicly fearful of the x.0
releases (though as a desktop it is suprisingly stable) but i might set up a
dev box to have a play. If I do I'll let the list know my opinions.

> Following your instructions, I found Applets -> Monitors -> Red Hat
> Network Alert Notification Tool , which I loaded. That is the one.

on the flipside unless you are paying for support I'd strongly sugest you
install apt-rpm (apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org), the port of debians apt-get utility
and if you like the gui try synaptic.

> Thanks, Patrick.
always welcome.

--