USB problem, was Re: [plug] HPLJ printing problem with CUPS

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Nov 28 14:02:37 WST 2002

On 28 Nov 2002 caston at iinet.net.au wrote:

> "Unable to open USB port device file "/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"

OK, forget CUPS. thats the kernel telling you it doesnt have a usb
printer.

> here are my modules:

Yep, no USB printing. Needs the 'printer' module, i think.

> I also tried insmod printer

 You mean modprobe? What was the actual command? What was the result of
that?
 tail /var/log/messages after "modprobe printer".

> and I'm not sure if it's related but I sometimes get:

>  Location: /usb/dev/usb/lp0

Never mind the printing spooling - the device isnt there yet.
Whats in the log?

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates