[plug] v2.5 Kernel Compilation

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Nov 29 16:06:44 WST 2002

On 29 Nov 2002, ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:

> Does any else have > 2.5.45 kernels fail compilation when it approaches
> the swsusp code?  All have done it up to 2.5.50 for me.
>
> Stuff like:
> arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x1240): In function
> `do_suspend_lowlevel':

I believe this means either you have ACPI on and now SUSPEND or the other way
around.

egrep '(ACPI|SUSPEND)' /usr/src/linux-2.5.50/.config

> What 2.5 kernels HAVE people managed to compile successfully?

2.5.X, wher X >= 41 and X < 50  (I have the source ready to go but haven't had
the time to do the build).

> Is there something I am doing wrong?

the 2.5 serries stuff, is stable(ish) but the build environment is touchy.
You should also be very carefull with modules with X >= 47.  Rustys stuff is
good but he's faster then userspace.

> Also, since 2.4.45 - how does one successfully get xconfig to work with
> qt.  I've got all the relevant stuff installed, and it bails out
> complaining about gconf now.

Heh? I honnestly don't know about this one.  you shouldn't need gconf at all.
I dont' use xconfig.  I suggest make menuconfig.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!