[plug] Sound Modules

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Oct 1 19:32:15 WST 2002

Howdy all,

More stories from Ryan's "weird but true" archives....

I've got a creative card (CT4810 from memory) that uses the es1371 module.

---------- Mr. Modules says: ------------
es1371: version v0.30 time 12:40:16 Sep 22 2002
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0f.0
es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x5880 revision 0x02
es1371: found es1371 rev 2 at io 0xe400 irq 11
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
---------------- lspci ------------------
00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

It works okay, but if i load the modules on boot through /etc/modules I have to use the eSound output plugin in XMMS, using OSS crashes it.  As for all other apps that assume a working sound device, they all crash when trying to output sound.  Recording works fine though (from /dev/dsp using sound-recorder)

*IF*  however I load the modules manually after bootup and only if that is done AFTER gnome complains about no /dev/mixer device, soundcore has (autoclean) along side it and XMMS works with OSS and all the standard sound programs work perfectly - including recording from /dev/dsp

So then i decide to try modprobe -k and pass autoclean to the soundcore module BEFORE gnome complains about dev/mixer but it does not have the same effect, and it is back to the first eSound scenario.

---------------------------------
/etc/modules:
soundcore
es1371

Results in this lsmod:
es1371                 26720   2
ac97_codec              9568   0  [es1371]
soundcore               3492   5  [es1371]

blank /etc/modules and manually loading the same modules in the same order results in:

es1371                 26720   0
ac97_codec              9568   0  [es1371]
soundcore               3492   4  (autoclean) [es1371]

es1371                 26720   0
ac97_codec              9568   0  [es1371]
soundcore               3492   4  (autoclean) [es1371]

I want the result in the first manually loaded one.  I'm obviously not too cluey on the difference between eSound and OSS and all that.  Is it the modules, Gnome or myself doing something naughty?

Can anyone find the switch on my torch?

Ryan