[plug] Dependency probs.

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Oct 2 13:59:41 WST 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Richard wrote:

> I am trying to install a backend for sane that is compatible with my canon
> parallel port scanner. In the README it is said that
> libieee1284-0.2.3-0.1.i386.rpm (or src) is required, but when I try and
> install it it claims to need libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3). The very latest version of
> glibc I have been able to track down is 2.2.5-25, but this does not do the
> trick. I have searched on glibc-2.3 and libc.so.6 (in a number of different
> places) and both get results that are at best confusing.

According to Gnu, 2.2.5 is current.
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html

It looks to me like the RPM was built with a pre-release version of glibc.

You could try downloading the source and building it.
http://www.cyberelk.net/tim/data/libieee1284/stable/libieee1284-0.2.3.tar.bz2
You just need to "./configure; make ; make install ".

Building from source is often the way to get around library version
dependency problems.

Mike.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates