[plug] apt-get sources.list

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 3 12:33:40 WST 2002

>>>Also how do we get a downloaded deb package installed from local machine,
>>>in slack I just point to file and installpkg or point pkgtool to it.
>>
>>dpkg -i <pkg>
>>
>>apt downloads packages into /var/cache/apt/archive by default.

OK, to clarify: I meant that when you "apt-get install blah" or "apt-get
-d install blah", the package files are downloaded into
/var/cache/apt/archive before they're installed. So if you're looking to
manually install a package, that's where to get it from if apt has
downloaded it. Usually, however, your pkg will be in your usual
downloads directory (apt put it in it's archives, apt can install it for
you) so you just run "dpkg -i path/to/package.deb" to install the package.

> you answered above, so I drop files into above directory and bob's ya uncle?

Not really. There's no real use in dropping stuff into
/var/cache/apt/archives. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do?
If you want to install some separately downloaded packages already on
your hdd, just dpkg -i pkg [ pkg [ ...] ] . If this is in reference to
kde3 though, you're better off using apt-get and manually resolving the
deps on the apt-get command line, as I gave an example of in an earlier msg.

> Also make sure /var has lots of space by the look of things mmmm!!

Definitely. There's no harm in a "rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*"
except that it clears the pkgcache  - but since anything in there is
usually already installed, I doubt you care. I'm sure there's a cleaner
way to do this via the apt tools, though.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)