[plug] apt-get sources.list

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Thu Oct 3 13:13:20 WST 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:33, Craig Ringer wrote:

Thanks for response Craig,

> >>apt downloads packages into /var/cache/apt/archive by default.
>
> OK, to clarify: I meant that when you "apt-get install blah" or "apt-get
> -d install blah", the package files are downloaded into
> /var/cache/apt/archive before they're installed. So if you're looking to
> manually install a package, that's where to get it from if apt has
> downloaded it. Usually, however, your pkg will be in your usual
> downloads directory (apt put it in it's archives, apt can install it for
> you) so you just run "dpkg -i path/to/package.deb" to install the package.

Yes I have figured that dpkg you have to be in same directory, although
initially I did think this was Debians default folder for downloads, but it
is apts installed/download archive folder.

Yeah dpkg works same as pkgtools, installpkg etc.. in slack

> Not really. There's no real use in dropping stuff into
> /var/cache/apt/archives. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do?
> If you want to install some separately downloaded packages already on
> your hdd, just dpkg -i pkg [ pkg [ ...] ] . If this is in reference to
> kde3 though, you're better off using apt-get and manually resolving the
> deps on the apt-get command line, as I gave an example of in an earlier
> msg.

As Above, and no I generally use my /home/ftp or /home/user etc.. for general
type package files so it is acccesible by most machines across network via
ftp.

> > Also make sure /var has lots of space by the look of things mmmm!!
>
> Definitely. There's no harm in a "rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*"

It is just that Debian uses /var an awful lot more than slack I think?

> except that it clears the pkgcache  - but since anything in there is
> usually already installed, I doubt you care. I'm sure there's a cleaner
> way to do this via the apt tools, though.

Yeah thanks Tony and Justin for pointers on that one!!

Thanks All, off to ponder more on the pilgrimage to Debian.
Rob Davies