[plug] BugBear Virus

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 4 15:11:06 WST 2002

> Had a look at Sophos information a while ago. From memory, it would have
> cost us about $1,000 a year, or some simialr amount. Too expensive.

Only $1000? Wow. I priced it about 3 months ago and it wasn't at _all_
pretty. They wanted a per-seat licence fee for each machine that'd be
recieving mail through the mail server, INCLUDING MacOS and linux boxes.
Not a small fee, either. On top of that, if I wanted host-local scanning
on the windoze boxes (to protect against USB Data keys, digital cameras,
and on the older machines floppy discs and CD-ROMs) it was 2x the price
of the mail scanning licence. When I suggested that perhaps a discount
should be offered on host-local licences where the machine is already
covered by a mail scanning licence, they weren't remotely interested.

> We have a server/gateway and about four client PC's; five systems at
> present.

Lucky bastard ;-/
I have to keep a 30+ machine network of Win95 486s, Win98 P100s and
newer AMD Durons, and MacOS 7 - 9 boxes alive, plus a SCO OpenServer
server, and NT server and a linux server. _ugly_ esp since we use the 3
least reliable client OSs ever written (win95, win98, MacOS 9).

Still, I'm actively looking into a linux deployment here - we're one of
those outfits where it could be worthwhile and the boss is _very_
interested. Key things we're waiting on:
	the mozilla flash bug fix
	OpenOffice 1.1 (or something less crashy, anyway) unless we go StarOffice
	some brave volunteers to test out the new system.

Amazing how a basically ready system can be held up by the simple
problem that nobody is game to try it out... despite the fact that I
have to sit users down at my linux box fairly regularly for various
reasons.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)