[plug] [OT]Possible virus?

Richard rbarnes at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 5 10:27:56 WST 2002

Last night I was getting some email while in windows (I have a duel boot
windows ME/Mandrake9 system) and Norton Anti-virus opened and said that
something had just changed my master boot record and did I want to allow
the changes or roll it back. I opted to roll it back, clicked ok and the
same message flashed up again. I chose the same option again and
everything seemed ok (I didn't re-boot after the problem). This morning
when I booted up instead of LiLo I got L99 99 99 99 99 99 99...repeated
across the screen. I used the Mandrake 9 disk1 to restore LiLo fine
enough, but I was just wondering if these symptoms rang a bell with
anyone so I might get a better idea of what the problem was. My NAV
definitions were up to date as of yesterday afternoon, and a full system
scan was done immediately after the alerts were displayed and no virus
was detected. Thanks.
Richard