[plug] weird characters in RedHat 8.0 terminal

Luke Dudney plug at apophis.net
Tue Oct 8 12:23:19 WST 2002

Hi all
I'm getting some weird characters when I view man pages in RedHat 8.0
using PuTTY snapshot 2002-10-08 (happened in older snapshots too).
eg:

DESCRIPTION
      ldd  prints  the  shared  libraries  required by each program or
shared
      library specified on the command line.

OPTIONS
      ââversion
             Print the version number of ldd.

      âv ââverbose
             Print all information, including e.g. symbol versioning
informaâ
             tion.

      âd ââdataârelocs
             Perform relocations and report any missing objects (ELF only).

Things look fine in the same version of PuTTY on RedHat 7.3 boxen.
Can anyone recommend a fix for this? I've tried setting my TERM to vt100
but that didn't help.

Cheers
Luke