[plug] squid + ssh & mail [network newbie]

sol sol at autonomon.net
Wed Oct 9 10:39:03 WST 2002

On Sunday I set up my PC to act as a server (squid, apache, wu-ftpd,
sshd) for two client laptops. It was a first-timers effort but
everything went really well. However, I do have a couple of small
problems. The clients can't receive mail from the remote servers, only
the local server. And whilst I can ssh into the local server (my PC) I
can't ssh beyond that. I can use mail (imap client - mozilla) and ssh to
remote domains using the PC but not laptop clients which can only access
the PC/server. The clients just can't locate external domains except
using web browsers which have been configured for the squid proxy.

I thought that this was related to client ssh and client mail
configurations, but I've been messing around with the mail
configurations and can't seem to get any mail client to recognise the
external mailserver domain. Is there something I need to tweak in
squid.conf? Does ssh client have options that allow use of a proxy to go
to external domains? Is this a proxy server problem or a proxy client
problem?

thankyou,
sol