[plug] squid + ssh & mail [network newbie]

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Oct 9 10:52:44 WST 2002

> The clients just can't locate external domains except
> using web browsers which have been configured for the squid proxy.

Sounds like you need to enable ip forwarding so packets from the clients can
travel 'through' the gateway.

Normally it is done like this:

You can put that in /etc/network/interfaces (because I know you use that) as
a line under eth0 as such:

   up echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

There are also masquarading/nat considerations that other people will be
able to help you with ... it has been too long since I've done all that.
Maybe looking here may help:  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

This has changed a bit with iptables/netfilter I think, but I'm not up with
all that :)

Ryan