[plug] comparing external hard disk - usb2 vs firewire with linux

shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Oct 10 16:42:20 WST 2002

There apples and oranges really. While firewire was designed at the
outset for mondo fast data transfer for video etc, USB was designed to
phase out RS232 (Although it is much closser to RS485 (or whatever it is
.. Thebalanced ++-- with nondefined daisychaining)) as a consumer
friendly simple data plugging protocol with discovery vibes..... Ie USB
for your mousie and Firewire for the Camera. And I'd seriously have to
say Firewire for HD. 2mbit usually ends up looking like 500kbit and not
much better than a frigging parallell port (Think old zip drives).

I will commend the USB dudes for not making the mistakes of the
RS232/422/485 stuff and actually freaking defining more than logic
levels. Having worked as a tech that spent most of my time in the black
art of reverse engineering mystery-black-box-RS232 dingles. I'd like to
RX- by standard in RS422? Depends on what mood your in... Ouch... And
don't even start on handshaking. 3 pins matter only baby! RX TX GND.)

That said I'd hate to see RS232 fazed out. one can build a RS232
adaptoid for toaster control with , like , 90 bucks worth of Pic & bits
drunk even. USB... Spooky stuff (AXIS's Etrax stuff makes life a little
easier tho..... linux!)