[plug] fetchmail / postfix / procmail problem - extra ^M's in mailboxes

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Fri Oct 11 21:10:37 WST 2002

Hi,

I installed Mandrake 8.2 on a LAN gateway PC last week, and I'm having
trouble getting the mail to work properly.  The system uses fetchmail to
grab mail from a multidrop mailbox, fetchmail splits it up then gives it to
postfix which uses procmail to deliver it to the local mailboxes.

This part works fine, with the exception that when I look at the user
mailboxes I can see that 'somebody' in the chain is adding ^M characters to
the end of every line in the message - except the first line.  Consequently
as the Outlook Express clients POP in and pick up the email, each message
has blank 'from' and 'subject' lines, which now appear along with all the
other headers in the body of the message.

It *appears* to be postfix's fault, since I replaced postfix with sendmail
and the problem went away with no alteration to procmail or fetchmail
configurations.  However I now have a whole set of different problems with
getting the sendmail configuration right, and I would rather go back to
postfix if I could just get this extra carriage-return problem resolved.
Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Steve
--