[plug] ZDNet Australia News & Tech OS SCO takes Linux to Murdoch Univers ity (fwd)

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 12 12:39:36 WST 2002

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:38, Jeff Williams wrote:
> Access is a nice form designer and database interface, but after dealing
> with several corruptions and problems with multiuser access I would have to
> say that it is an evil backend. It's also not that easy to move you data
> out to a better backend after.

Even to SQL Server in my experience. At least a few years ago.

Access and SQL Server, altho they come from the same company (forget their
name :) the 2 products have different ideas about the basic datatypes. Also,
when using the migration tools, SQL Server seems to 'trust' Access too much,
which results in a SQL Server DB which has weird corruptions and displays
weird behaviour with locked records, especially when booleans are involved.

Steer well clear.