[plug] Multiple Xwindows Sessions on Multiple Monitors

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 14 15:14:39 WST 2002

I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> I have just added my old Video Card and a 2nd monitor to my
> Linux/Windows Box. I would like to have it set up as ethir 2 X sessions
> one on each monitor or as a single X session strecthed accross both
> monitors.
> The First video card (AGP) is already set up and working. The second
> also works with its monitor as I am already using it in Windows. I am
> using Debian Woody.

Option 1: Add another (approptiate to the new hardware) Device, Monitor
and Screen section to your XF86Config, and then off you go. You may need
to update the ServerLayout section too. This will result in two
independent screens, :0.0 and :0.1 which you can't drag programs between
or anything but (I seem to remember) can't run separate login clients on
either since they share the same Xserver.

Option 2: http://www.google.com/search?q=xinerama   :
I haven't set it up personally but I gather it isn't difficult. I have
an NVidia card, so it has its own Xinerama implementation for tv-out etc
which works pretty well (if only Debian would compile all their X apps
with Xinerama support ... grr).

BTW speaking of X coolness I'm writing this on my laptop, which has been
castrated with " mem=16M" then network-booted as an X thin client. I'm
using mozilla - and it works sufficiently fast that I'm beginning to
suspect that something's not right with the server's console setup,
because I swear its faster now than it was using it locally.

I've got another user in the office running off the same server using a
gutted P100 w 32MB RAM while I build him a new PC (if he ends up wanting
to change to it - 32Mb P100 w win95 - blech). Seems to be going well so
far, and very happy to be able to open EPS files.

Heh. Back to building that win95 box (ick).

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)