[plug] Mandrake 9.0 System Requirements

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Oct 17 12:04:16 WST 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:

> I know the RAM is lacking, but Windows 2000 and Debian (Gnome 1.4) both
> appear to run very nicely on this machine, and this was a comparison
> exercise after all.  I installed a medium amount of fruit and after bootup
> 65+ MB of swap is in use and the machine runs about as well as a legless
> donkey.  Swapping constantly and tuxracer runs at about 0.2 frames per
> second.  I've disabled every service I can find and it makes no apparent
> difference.  Is there a bunch of useless services eating my performance I'm
> unaware of, is Gnome 2 a real behemoth?

I ran Gnome2 on a p166 with 64Mb RAM, it was faster then 1.4 on the same
machine.  I only took it off beacuse the machine is now headless, and I avoid
having apps installed that I don't need.

I also run Gnome2 on my notebook pIII 1Gb it;s nice.  James Henstridge
develops gnome2 on his p200?

WRT to the bad frame rates makesure your using DRI (dri.sf.net) or Gl will be
a dog.  Given that you have a TNT you'll prolly need to install the 3rd party
drivers for Mandrake 9.0

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!