[plug] Amavis configuration on Debian Stable

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Oct 17 13:12:31 WST 2002

G'day all,
Just been through the process, so thought I'd share in case it is
relevant for someone.

Using Amavis-snapshot-20020300
Latest F-prot.
Exim 3.35-1

Follow all the instructions in the README and README.exim
Make sure when you add the Transport to your exim.conf you
re-postion the "end" UNDER the transport you just added!

When resolving the perl deps, it's easier to load the CPAN
module and follow the instructions in the README.

Before you configure amavis, you need arc, lha, unarj, aunrar and zoo
installed. All of these except arc can be directly installed from
Debian unstable. Just download the debs and go for it. for arc I had
to locate an rpm and convert it with alien.
arc-5.21e-5.i686.rpm
Convert it with
fakeroot alien -c arc-5.21e-5.i686.rpm
and install the deb.

./configure && make
amavis and make install as root.

Make sure you have created the users, groups and dirs in the README.
Don't bother with the make tests as they don't work anyway.

su amavis
/usr/sbin/amavisd

This step had me stumped for hours. You NEED to start amavisd before
any virus scanning or mail delivery can take place.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Brad....
                   /"\