[plug] Web browsing wierdness

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Oct 21 00:02:35 WST 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Adrian Blockley wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I got this frustrating problem trying to access some web sites with my
> Linux box (Redhat 6.0, kernel 2.2.20 Mozilla1.1, lynx ?.??). I can
> access most sites but it seems I can no longer access freshmeat and
> slashdot. I thought originally that it was something like a DNS or a
> routing problem but the name seems to resolve and i can use lcrzoex to
> download the http header i.e. lcrzoex 96 freshmeat.net 80 /
> results in:

Quick question; have you tried other browsers, eg Opera, Netscape?

I sometimes have problems accessing sites, or viewing the pages,
depending on the browser. Switching browsers can make a difference.

I am using RH 7.3, and I use Galeon, Opera, then Mozilla, then Netscape,
in order of preference, usually, depending on what I want to do, and,
if I want to print pages, with the URL's and timestamp, I use Star
Office 5.2, as I have been unable to get any of the other web browsers
to print the header and footer information.

When I got RH 7.3 (I had previously been using 6.2), it had been
stressed to me, on this list, that 6.x was out of date, and risky to
use, and lacking the functionality of 7.3, so, when I got a computer
upgrade, I installed RH 7.3.

It may be worth considering upgrading to RH 7.3. Galeon is good to use,
and using Evolution and clicking on a hypertext link (eg on the
freshmeat or slashdot newsfeeds), automatically opens a galeon browser
window (or tab, as I prefer tabs to new browser windows).

Also, the updating feature (up2date) in RH 7.3, is useful, especailly
when the RHN is accessible (which I have found to be conveniently more
often, now).

By the way, speaking of newsfeeds, I trust everone is aware of the
2,000USD fine and 96,000USD costs, awarded agains the spammer in the
USA?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988