[plug] Extinguishing VIM syntax highlighting

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Oct 22 22:43:00 WST 2002

On Monday 21 October 2002 01:30 pm, ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> Ryan wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if one can output VIM's syntax highlighting in any
>>> form so I can make HTML pages of Perl code to look like they do in VIM?

>> Yup, :runtime! syntax/2html.vim

> *hides in shame*

Well, look at it this way... you can get a concise, useful, working answer in
under 10 minutes if Matt's on the list, and maybe forty other people will
benefit, or you can spend half a day trolling help files and learn a little
about a lot of things in vim but only you get the benefit. (-:

Matt knows more about things like PERL and vim than the sum total of my
computer knowledge - I suspect he avoids obfuscated-PERL contests just to
give the other entrants a chance - just don't presume on him and start asking
too many obviously dumb or lazy questions, and you'll get along fine. (-:

There are a few people around who impress me like this. John Osborne from
WestNet seems to be able to type unrelated stuff at rain-on-a-tin-roof speeds
while he's helping me work out routing issues on the 'phone. JamesH seems to
be able to code and talk sensibly (ie, at better than `yes dear' level) at
the same time without typing the conversation into the program or talking
CORBA at people.

Cheers; Leon