Free Radicals (was: Re: [plug] IT Job Seekers / Business start-up peer support group)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Oct 24 16:36:20 WST 2002

On 24 Oct 2002 15:40:50 +0800 Sham Chukoury <chukours at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> §:)
> "You will be held hostage by a radical group." - fortune, on RH Linux 7.3

<grin>

Confuse Us Translation: "You will drink too much free beer and not be able to stand up." ;-p

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s52088.htm

Ahem. Returning to the subject ..

Sham mainly said:
"
I meant unfriendly in terms of the courses and seminars they offer...
Their newsgroups also seem to be mostly centered around Microsoft
technologies (.NET, etc).
"

I got cross about this because it is such blatant assimilation marketing. Not SEAWAs fault and Anne B will probably tick me off but, really, why (after all of the experiences with M$ crippling, abusing, and closing standards) would people be such suckers to another lock-in ?

There are proposals for open alternatives dot-GNU, yes ? Can anyone working in this area comment on alternatives ? If so, a talk at SEAWA could be arranged. That would be useful and I'm sure they'd be interested.

Further radical ramblings: I thought about obtaining the domain not.net a while ago as a site for counter-argument but it's taken. Wonder if B Gates has it tied up to squash dissent from the RestOfUs ? :)

cu
Harry