[plug] Gentoo

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 25 06:48:27 WST 2002

just a point - try not to delete the tarballs, save em off onto CD if
space is a problem (I share an nfs mount between systems so only one set
is needed).  Why? - one of the advantages of gentoo is that it is tuned
to your hardware/profile: want to change to a higher/lower level of
optimisation?, compile kde stuff into the appropriate applications?,
then just change the profile and recompile, for which you will need the
original tarball.  Same when gcc2.3 and gnome2 came out - a few commands
and a recompile and I am again at the (b)leeding edge

Mind you, after a few months and 3 systems and vmware images, I have
nearly 2g of tarballs - all via modem!!!

BillK