[plug] if anybody's wondering why bits of perth just fell off the 'net...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 25 11:46:36 WST 2002

> Have you got the backup connection automated, and if so,
> is your script/whatever in a shape you'd be prepared to pass on to
> others?

Nope ; in fact I never really had a back-up system 'till a few months
ago when it became clear that the ADSL network could no longer be relied
upon. The backup consists of the 56k that was our pre-ADSL connection
method, and kppp ;-)

I really should look at automating something based on watching the
interface stats or maybe tcpdump (failure is lots of ARP requests going
out, and that's it) but I'm not really prepared to do so at this point.
I'm present at all times where loss of access is a danger, and automated
failover has its own risks (like the fact that if it goes over when not
needed, we lose 4/5 of our bandwidth which we NEED). The key point is
that at present I don't have a way of detecting link _recovery_ after
failure, 'cos iiNet assigns us the same IP for dial-up and ADSL,
preventing me from having the ADSL interface up at the same time.

I suppose I could, say
ping -I eth1 203.0.178.191
(ping using eth1, the ADSL interface, to iiNet's DNS) and see if replies
come in via 56k but I don't know if that'd work and its ugly.

So for now, its manual fail-over for me.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)