[plug] A Call for help regarding embedding linux

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Oct 25 12:16:44 WST 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:04:12 +0800, Peter Revill wrote:
> | Sounds cool, but i cant afford an LCD, there something stupidly
> | expenisve arent they?
>
> Only if you want a graphical one.  Dick Smith sell back-lit character-cell
> LCDs for ~$50, IIRC.  With a little soldering, these work fine.

I can beat that - how about $12?  (16x2 BACKLIT LCD: Standard Hitachi
chipset.) Maybe too small. They have a 40x2, but not backlit.

http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/displays.html

Consider using an old laptop, especially if you can get one with a broken
screen cheap. More shock-resistant, less power, simpler power supply.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates