[plug] New box :p)

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Oct 25 15:03:31 WST 2002

Ben Jensz wrote:

> You probably don't want to be hearing this.... but it takes me both
> hands to count how many IBM IDE hard disks I've had die in the last 3
> months across about 30 computers with them in them.  And not all the
> same model either.  These all being hard disks no older than 12 months old.
>
> I just hope your backup regime doesn't involve mirroring one to the
> other one.

Fark, your right..
They are going to be Raid 1 mirrored.
Crucial data is to be stored on a 4 disk SCSI Raid 5 array.
This is also using IBM drives.

The RAID array has been running in another
machine for 2 years now with no problems, but we cool the machine with
a 150mm centrifugal blower bolted to the back of the box, and all internal
fans removed bar the cpu fan.
The input to the blower is filtered.
This keeps things inside very cool as there is some stupid CFM of air
flowing.

What scares me is my backup is another small box with removable ide disks
that we rotate. They are also IBM 80GB drives..

Sounds like I'd better get some WD's for the backup machine, just in case.

--
Brad....
                   /"\