Drives. Was - Re: [plug] New box :p)

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Fri Oct 25 17:47:51 WST 2002

Brad Campbell wrote:

>How warm were these IBM drives running?
>It seems than in a typical PC case, with standard cooling these things
>could fry bacon!
>With some airflow modifications in the case, I have been able to pull nearly
>20 degrees of the drive temp.

Well one of ones that died, did so whilst I was watching, it was during
boot up from cold in an air conditioned room.

One of them died in a machine that had quite a bit of extra cooling and
sits in the very cold radio studio server room at work.

>I would rather have purchased Quantum drives as I have had a failure rate of
>zero in the last 7 years, but now they are Maxtor (Who I would not even spit on).
>I figured IBM were the next best thing.
>Plus, IBM still lists warranty at 3 years, where the others have dropped to 1.

I'm not going to bother claiming warranty on my own 45Gb drive that
died.  I mean why bother?  It'll just get replaced with another IBM
that'll no doubt die an early death.

/ Ben