[plug] RealPlayer with Linux ??

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Oct 26 09:11:18 WST 2002

> There's RealPlayer for Linux, and Mplayer supports them too, if you've
> got RealPlayer installed at the same time, it'll save a bit of time and
> hassle, as Mplayer can use its codec for palying the files. :)

And you might well want to use mplayer, too. Real Player 8 is somewhat
old and buggy, whereas in my experience the RealOne alpha is really,
really unreliable and buggy. *sigh*.

Install realone player, then when building mplayer run configure with

--with-reallibdir=/home/username/Real/Codecs

(for RealOne player)

That said, mplayer's support isn't overly reliable at the moment either
and it can't seek.

Craig