[plug] Apache gurus

Craig Dyke grail at enterprize.net.au
Sun Oct 27 00:10:36 WST 2002

I have been trying to do some of the tutorials that come with apache so as to
better aquaint myself.

In the area of authentication the tutorial presents three different types of
password verification.
Both the Basic and Digest roles I have been able to utilise. My problem is in
the third of using a database. Specifically, the tutorial directs me to use
dbmmanage, which is supplied with apache.
The following is the demo:

	dbmmanage passwords.db adduser montressor

This produces a file called 'passwords' (without db extension) which is around
12K in size. Then the instructions direct you to the .htaccess config file
where you enter:

AuthName "Members Only"
AuthType Basic
AuthDBUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
require user montressor

Once trying to access the web page associated a server error appears. I have
traced the error (i think) to the db file as when I try to use any of the
other commands associated with dbmmanage they all produce the corresponding
error to the particular command :((

eg.	dbmmanage passwords check montressor
	Sorry, user `montressor' doesn't exist!

Can someone please explain how to get this all to work??

Craig