[plug] Apache gurus

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sun Oct 27 03:01:05 WST 2002

> I have been trying to do some of the tutorials that come with apache so as to
> better aquaint myself.
>
> In the area of authentication the tutorial presents three different types of
> password verification.
> Both the Basic and Digest roles I have been able to utilise. My problem is in
> the third of using a database. Specifically, the tutorial directs me to use
> dbmmanage, which is supplied with apache.
> The following is the demo:
>
> <juicy examples omitted>

Firstly - I'm not a guru.

I just did exactly what your email explained.  I turned on the db_auth module in apache.  Made the DB file using the line you specified and then set up the htaccess as you specified and it works perfectly.  I'm using version 1.3.26.  Does the apache error log say anything when you start apache or attempt to authenticate?

Mind you, my checks work too:

dbmmanage passwords check montressor
Enter password:
crypt password ok

I don't know anything about dbmmanage to comment further, I'd certainly try re-installing/compiling it though to see if that has an affect.

My one that works is on Debian and in the apache-common package:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        10936 Jun 20 02:01 /usr/bin/dbmmanage

MD5SUM: 41848255dd63bd07a6cd4a1321ceec68  /usr/bin/dbmmanage

Ryan