[plug] modern apple file sharing for linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 2 12:58:11 WST 2002

Hi all
Does anybody on PLUG currently work in an environment with MacOS 9
clients and linux file servers? If so, I'd be interested in hearing what
server software you're using. I'm finding netatalk totally insufficient,
trying to work directly off a network volume with Photoshop or Quark
results in all sorts of nasty errors.

If anybody has tried out Darwin or Darwin/x86 - any comments there with
regards to AppleTalk? Is AppleTalk networking included in Darwin or is
it a MacOS X only thing? I've been wondering for some time if Darwin
could be used to give Linux AppleTalk networking a bit of a kick. It
sure needs one.

So - anybody have any experiences in this area?

BTW the reason I ask is because I'm stuck with macs running MacOS 7 and
(*blech*) 9 (*blech*) on our LAN, and currently I'm having to use an NT4
box to serve files to them. I'd love to be able to move to linux since
the NT4 is... well ... NT4 - plus its a little quirky. An apple file
server is not an option unless they offer server software packages for
linux, I can't get an actual apple server nor do I particularly want to.