[plug] System slowdown help

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Wed Sep 4 01:17:20 WST 2002

My video card is a GeForce3 TI200 64MB card and I installed the latest linux
drivers from the Nvidia website.  I don't remember the Nvidia driver version
numbers.  I am not sure what you mean by "Does typing work fine" ?  If you
mean typing inside the terminal window, that does work fine.  There are no
delays in the character response when I type in the terminal windows.

What also happens is that I will click on an application (such as Mozilla or
Konqueror) to start and KDE shows a 'mini' flashing icon and then I wait for
a long time before the app starts, IF it starts at all.
Things eventually start, but they just seem to take forever.  I don't
remember this much delay on redhat 7.2.

I use Gkrellm to monitor processes and noticed that after I login I see up
to 100+ processes running.  Is that excessive for a X session?
I turned a few off, such as wwwoffle but that made no difference.
I plan to use tcpdump to monitor network traffic to see if there are
excessive amounts of activity there also.

Phil