[plug] Debian 3.0

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Wed Sep 4 13:50:05 WST 2002

> It is possible, especially on "home" systems, to get away with unifying
> /var with / - most useful if you don't have much in the way of disk
> space. You can also get away with having /usr on / but I'm reluctant to
> do this usually.

My oppinion on this is that /var should be separated before /usr because
filling up /usr is an administrative choice - ie, installing software while
/var can fill up with a sub-system failure (logs, caches, spools, etc).

I treat /var as "anything that changes regularly" - including web sites if
you're hosting - and should be allowed to fill up without killing the system
completely.

Just an oppinion.

- Brian.