[plug] Debian 3.0

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 4 15:10:50 WST 2002

Paul Day wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>It is possible, especially on "home" systems, to get away with unifying
>>/var with / - most useful if you don't have much in the way of disk
>>space. You can also get away with having /usr on / but I'm reluctant to
>>do this usually.
>

> These days I generally don't bother with separating /usr and / - with
> disk-space being so expansive and cheap now.
>
> The idea with your major system stuff being in /bin and /sbin was that
> they should generally be on the same drive as / so that if your /usr drive
> died (seeing drive space was limitted and /usr would be on a separate
> drive), you could still bring the box up.
>
> These days, I generally go for:
> /
> swap
> /var - so that if it fills up it doesn't fill everything else up and/or so
> you can have your logging being done on a seperate drive to data and
> binaries to keep performance up on busy servers.
> /home - so it can be mounted noexec to dis-arm users a little, and makes
> upgrades easier.
> /tmp - so it can be mounted noexec to dis-arm users a little.
> /boot - if the OS/boot-loader needs kernel image near front of drive
> (eg silo for Linux on Sparc)

I also tend to add

/usr/local

to that one on bigger systems - that way if I want to do a complete
reinstall for whatever reason, all my custom / non-packaged stuff is
retained. I think my /usr/local is 3 years old now... having been moved
across drives about 4 times and upsized significantly each time. Ditto
/home - why reformat when you don't have to? (though I did once to move
them both from ext2 to reiserfs).

Its less useful to me now since I've been using Debian for about 1 1/2
years but before that I used to change distros a lot.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)