[plug] Debian 3.0

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 4 15:35:12 WST 2002

James Elliott wrote:
> Thanks Adrian, Mike and Craig
>
> Can I ask what "reiserfs" is? - new to me

OK, when you create a filesystem under linux 2.4 or greater, you can
choose what format you want it in. Its very much the same way that
Windows 2000 users can choose FAT32 (*blech*) or NTFS (kinda nice but
WFT are the docs?!?). Available filesystems are:
	ext2 (the traditional one, can be converted to ext3)
	ext3 (ext2 with journalling extensions for crash recovery)
	reiserfs (new journalling fs from namesys)
	JFS (IBM's donated journ. fs, in recent 2.4 kernels)
	XFS (SGI's donated journalling fs, needs patched kernel)

Complicated enough?

Its not too bad. You probably want ext3 if you have an existing ext2
based system runnning since its so painless to convert over. Otherwise
... to run the risk of a flamewar, I'd suggest reiserfs at this point.

They all have their ups and downs, most of which everybody is happy to
argue about. In the end, I say reiser because its not ext2/3 ( 2gig file
limits drive me nuts among other things), its fairly stable and well
tested now, and its included in the kernel distribution. Oh, and its
fast and reliable.

Have fun.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)