[plug] updating packages (Debian) from later sources

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 4 21:54:32 WST 2002

Dear Brian,

I thought so, too -- that mod_perl was the embedded version.   But reading
the installation doco suggests a need for a perl source.  I supose that
does not conflict with what you've just said, that the embedded and the
"system" perl don't need to be the same version, but symmetry might be
nice?

In any event, I'm really keen to find out about the general in's and out's
of pre-packaged versus from-source.  Today perl, tomorrow gcc?   This is
more for the learning -- I have no plans to do this sort of thing on a
production box :-)

Thanks again,
Denis