[plug] Redhat 7.3 install (argh!!!!)

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Fri Sep 6 01:19:19 WST 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 16.24, Adrian Blockley wrote:
> OK I finally have a working RedHat 7.3 distribution but it took a
> couple of days. I Got the distribution from the NEXT Handbooks
> packaging of RedHat 7.3. I checked CDs 1 and 2 using the checkmedia
> option and the md5checksums matched. Disk 3 on the other hand did not
> have a checksum and this, i presume, is why the install failed.
> I am not too sure why I couldn't get the upgrade to work but I think
> its closely related to the fact that my original installation had
> wandered a long way from the original redhat defaults.
>
> I have a colleague who swears by Debian - he has been walking round
> with a big grin and telling me how easy his last upgrade was (sigh...)

I have a RH partition on this disk which I hardly ever use and had RH7.2 on
it.  I was bored last night, needed some practice on RH,  so I upgraded it to
7.3.  Took a couple of hours (around 500 packages) using apt-get downloading
the packages from the net.  I must admit I did have to un install a couple of
packages to resolve some screwed up dependancies but I've had to do that on
debian as well in the past.  The correct versions where replace by apt-get in
any case.  My only real beef with RH since version 7 has been their somewhat
broken version of gcc  Install apt-rpm, you'll appriciate it

tony

--
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.