[plug] Redhat 7.3 install (argh!!!!)

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Fri Sep 6 05:46:06 WST 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 10.36, Jay Warwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 01:19, Tony Clark wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 September 2002 16.24, Adrian Blockley wrote:
> > > OK I finally have a working RedHat 7.3 distribution but it took a
> > > couple of days. I Got the distribution from the NEXT Handbooks
> > > packaging of RedHat 7.3. I checked CDs 1 and 2 using the checkmedia
> > > option and the md5checksums matched. Disk 3 on the other hand did not
> > > have a checksum and this, i presume, is why the install failed.

> > > I am not too sure why I couldn't get the upgrade to work but I think
> > > its closely related to the fact that my original installation had
> > > wandered a long way from the original redhat defaults.
> > >
> > > I have a colleague who swears by Debian - he has been walking round
> > > with a big grin and telling me how easy his last upgrade was (sigh...)
> >
> > I have a RH partition on this disk which I hardly ever use and had RH7.2
> > on it.  I was bored last night, needed some practice on RH,  so I
> > upgraded it to 7.3.  Took a couple of hours (around 500 packages) using
> > apt-get downloading the packages from the net.  I must admit I did have
> > to un install a couple of packages to resolve some screwed up
> > dependancies but I've had to do that on debian as well in the past.  The
> > correct versions where replace by apt-get in any case.  My only real beef
> > with RH since version 7 has been their somewhat broken version of gcc
> > Install apt-rpm, you'll appriciate it
> >
> > tony
> >
> > --
> > Contract ASIC and FPGA design.
>
> As a new Linux user I find this information interesting.  But does the
> third disk work or doesn't it.  I have also bought Redhat7.3 only to be
> disappointed.

If your bought the same set of RH7.3 as above I would say it is a little
broken as the md5checksum has been left off on disc3 for some reason.  I
would either do what was done in the original post or complain about the CD
as you have paid good money for it.  The 3rd alternative is to borrow someone
elses disc3 that is intact and burn a copy of it.  I guess the 4th options is
to download the disc3 iso and burn a copy yourself.  That only works if you
have a decent internet connection and can locate a copy that won't use all
your monthly bandwidth.  I think getting a copy from someone else is going to
be the fastest option if you don't have another machine you can stick the CD
in to do a remote install.  If you do then do an nfs install.  I'm not sure
what they stick on disc 3 nowdays but the other trick you could try is do a
miminal install which, with a bit of luck won't ask for disc3.  Then install
the rest as required.

tony

--
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.