[plug] ipac horror

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Sep 6 15:29:37 WST 2002

> Ok... I'm running Deb woody. And need to get some IP accounting info.
> So I've tried to install ipac, and it just complains about interfaces.
> If my net card is eth0, is THAT the interface to use or am I
> misunderstanding all this?

You can use the interface name or any IP address bound to it.

1. You are using ipacset to reprime the rules right? - it will tell you if
you stuffed up.
2. Then fetchipac elicits the details from the kernel.
3. Then ipacsum makes nice columns out of them (similar to ipchains -vL)

You probably should be using ipac-ng if you are on 2.4 kernel in which case
all this is more than likely incorrect :P

Here is an extract of my /etc/ipac.conf that might help (every example you
ever need is already in the conf file):

incoming total|in|eth0|all||
ssh incoming|in|eth0|tcp||0/0 ssh
dns incoming tcp|in|eth0|tcp||0/0 domain
dns incoming udp|in|eth0|udp||0/0 domain
icmp incoming|in|eth0|icmp||
mail incoming smtp|in|eth0|tcp||0/0 25
mail incoming pop3|in|eth0|tcp||0/0 110

Ryan