[plug] Server help

Jeff Williams jw at globaldial.com
Sat Sep 7 09:41:55 WST 2002

Is this a fun learning experience or you just want a system up and running?

For the former I'd start at The Linux Documentation Project
(http://www.tldp.org/) and read the various HOWTO's on the area's that
you've out lined.

For the later you should bring your computer it to one of the gatherings
of people at the University Computer Club at the University of WA. I
haven't actually been, but it seems like the right place. Someone will
have to tell you when though as I can't find it on the web page (why?).

You're next option of course is to pay someone to do it, but thats no fun:)

Anyway, based on your requirements (note these are just my suggestions,
opinion will vary):

internet/ADSL: not sure of the tool to set it up under redhat
proxy: squid
email server: postfix
firewall: iptables
Contacts and calendar sharing/coordination i.e. Microsoft outlook: not sure.
virus protection: protecting who? The server itself doesn't need it, but
the clients (assuming that they're windows clients) will need the same
protection as any other time.
print server: run printtool i think.
backing up: get some sort of backup media (another dh, tape, nfs...) and
set up a cron job to do it automatically.

Of course unless there's a good reason for redhat I'd recommend debian
for a server, but that's not a discussion path to go down.

JEff

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
arithmetic and those that can't.