[plug] Apache Access

Lyndon Kroker ljkroker at netvigator.com
Wed Sep 11 02:18:25 WST 2002

Well, I am really stuck!

I have gone over the apache documentation:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html
so many times my eyes are sore and I still cannot get apache to cooperate.

All I want to do is:

1) restrict access from certain IP addresses and domain names, and
2) allow everyone else in.

I figured that this should work:

<Directory "/var/www/html">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from 11.22.33.44 badguyone.com badguytwo.net
    Allow from all
</Directory>

However, I tried banning myself by both IP address and domain name and
neither would work.

The closest I got was when I managed to get a message like "you do not have
permision to access the server" when I was playing around with a directory
like "/var/www/html/pub/test".  However when I hit reload on the browser,
apache happily served up the content.

    me: "I want that page!"
    apache: "Sorry, no can do."
    me (pressing reload): "GIVE ME THAT PAGE!!"
    apache: "Oh alright... you talked me into it."

Relavent (?) information:

+ I am pretty sure that apache is running as a stand alone daemon and not via
inetd.
+ I am using a separate access.conf, but it only contains directives that
restrict certain sub directories to certain groups.

I would spell check this message but it's 2:17 AM I am too damn tired!

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lyndon