[plug] Internet/Multimedia keyboard

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Sep 11 09:38:45 WST 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Brenden Veljacich wrote:

> I'm about to buy a new Logitech "Elite" keyboard, It comes with
> Internet/Multimedia keys that are supposed to work under MS Windows but I’m
> guessing it isn’t going to work under Linux straight out of the box so what
> will I have to do to make it work?

Brenden,
I guess the extra keys will generate new "scancodes". You must do three
things:
- tell the kernel to map the scancodes to keycodes.
- tell the X-server to map the key-codes to X key-syms.
- tell your window-manager or application how to respond to them, if it
  doesnt know already.

See the Keyboard HOWTO for a start, and it will refer you to man pages.
You should be able to find the scancodes on the web, or using showkey(1).

Here is the relevant page:
http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO-14.html

See setkeycodes(1), loadkeys(1).

Cheers, Mike.