[plug] Broadband problems Rockingham.

garry garbuck at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 11 20:18:55 WST 2002

Sounds like a job for a wireless link..

Do you have a friend who is closer who would like free internet, in return
for the electricity to run a router/AP? Youd have to play with tunnelling for
security, and bandwidth limiting (generosity based) for the local connection
for the friend..

Cheap 11MB/s Dlink AP from USA = < $200 Aussie
Router box = pretty damn cheap..
Galaxy antenna = Priceless + time to modify.
Cable @ ~$6/metre
Client card = from $60 for PCMCIA
Suggest www.e3.com.au as a starting point for knowledge if needed.

If YOU were the account holder of the ADSL link, using it across property
boundaries at 2.4GHz (esp across an encrypted tunnel 8^)==  ) should not pose
legal embarrasment.. But fortunately, I am not a lawyer.

If you live in the old part of Rockingham, an acquaintance of mine in
Parmelia has line of sight and might be interested. No promises.
I'd do it myself, but I'm in Medina and I'm in a hollow. Not Good (tm).

HTH

Garry.